Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce
Makes 10 yummy enchiladas from Cook’s Illustrated.
Has Kim tried this? No
Sauce and Filling
1.5 tbsp vegetable or corn oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced (1 tbsp)
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
12 oz chicken thighs, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
1 can pickled jalapeno peppers (4 oz) drained and chopped
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
Tortillas and Toppings
10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
3 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 c sour cream
5 leaves of romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and shredded
2 limes, quartered
- For the sauce and filling: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add garlic, spices, and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until coated with spices, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 c water; stir to separate chicken pieces. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Pour mixture through medium mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on chicken and onions to extract as much sauce as possible; set sauce aside. Transfer chicken mixture to large plate. Freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantra, jalapenos, and cheese in medium bowl and set aside.
- Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- To assemble: Smear entire bottom of 13 x 9 pan with 3/4 c. sauce. Place tortillas on 2 baking sheets and spray both sides lightly with cooking spray. Bake until tortillas are soft and pliable, about 4 minutes.
- Place warm tortillas on countertop. Increase oven temp to 400 degrees. Place 1/3 c. filling down center of each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly by hand and place in baking dish, side-by-side, seam down. Pour remaining sauce over top of enchiladas. Use back of spoon to spread sauce so it coats top of each tortilla. Spring 1/4 c. grated cheese down center of enchiladas.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake on lower-middle rack until heated through and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, passing toppings.