Strawberries with Sweet Ricotta and Lemon Shortbread
From Rachael Ray Magazine
Has Kim tried this? No
1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced (about 3 c)
1/2 c plus 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
3 c ricotta cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
1 c all-purpose flour
Coarse sugar, such as Sugar in the Raw
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with 1/4 c of the sugar. In another bowl, mix the ricotta with 1 1/2 tbsp of the sugar.
2. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the butter, the remaining 1/4 c of the sugar, the lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Add the flour, about 1/4 c at a time, mixing it as you go, until a crumbly dough forms.
3. Transfer the dough to an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan and press it into an even layer. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and prick all over with a fork, making sure you poke all the way through. With the handle of the fork, score the dough into 8 equal rectangles.
4. Bake the shortbread until the edges are browned and the middle is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the shortbread cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then cut along the scored lines while the shortbread is still warm. Transfer the pieces to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
5. Divide the ricotta equally among 8 shallow bowls, then top with the strawberries and their juices and a piece of shortbread.