Freezer Chicken Enchiladas
From Cook’s Country
Has Kim tried this? Yes
Pretty tasty and filling, but the sauce was a little bland. Maybe increase spices next time.
1 (29-oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 c shredded cooked chicken
2.5 c shredded Monterey jack sheese
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp minced canned pickled jalpenos
10 (4-inch) corn tortillas
1. To make ahead: Blend tomato sauce, onion, garlic, chipotle, cumin, coriander, salt, and broth in blender until smooth. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add tomato mixture, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until mixture is reduced to 3.5 cups, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Toss 1/4 c sauce with chiken, 1 c cheese, cilantro, and jalapenos.
3. Place 5 tortillas on baking sheet and lightly coat both sides with cooking spray. Bake tortillas until just pliable, about 2 minutes. Working quickly,k transfer one tortilla at a time to work surface, fill with 1/2 c chicken mixture, and roll tightly. Transfer, seam-side down, in large plate. Repeat warming and rolling process with remaining 5 tortillas. Place plate in freezer until enchiladas are frozen, at least 1 hour.
4. Place remaining sauce in freezersafe container and press 2 layers of plastic wrap directly on surface of sauce. Tightly wrap enchiladas in bundles of 5, first in plastic and then in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
5. When ready to serve: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Defrost enchilada sauce in microwave on defrost setting, about 12 minutes.
6. Coat 13×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange frozen enchiladas in single layer in baking dish and coat tops wiith cooking spray. Bake until tops of tortillas are just beginning to flake, about 20 minutes. Remove dish from oven, top with 1.5 c sauce, and bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1.5 c cheese and bake until cheese melts and center of casserole is hot and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve, passing remaining sauce and garnishes at table.